Sunday, February 4, 2007

Superbowl sunday: Colts win, I take a nap.

I caught the beginning of the 2nd quarter and fell in and out of sleep. I awoke to an awesome performance by The Artist formerly known as Prince. It was really awesome, I was thoroughly impressed. It was raining in Miami and only made sense when he started singing "Purple Rain". The stage lit up with purple lights and the crowd really rocked out with Prince. After the show I surfed the tube for a bit and landed back on the Superbowl only to fall asleep and nap the rest of the way.

Vancouver Canuck vs. Calgary Flames: 4-3 Flames. My brother and I went to the game last night. I was pretty excited to be watching my beloved Canucks take on rival Calgary. I've only been twice but it's weird to be surrounded by a "C of Red". I've enjoyed a lot of games at GM Place and it's just not the same. Our seats were amazing. For 40 dollars we were behind one of the nets. I got to see Roberto Luongo save 38 shots. The Sedins work their magic and my boys got OUTWORKED!! The Flames wanted this game so much more. And they do deserve the win (but I have this bitter taste in my mouth as I utter those words). The Flames fans were pretty subdued when they saw my brother and I wearing the white and blue walking into to the Saddledome. As I passed other fellow Canuckle heads, we would give a reserved "Yah!" and a pleasant High five. It's always good to know you are not alone. But the Canucks fans held their heads up high even after the game. We didn't get many jeers after either, A couple "Vancouver SUCKS!" from Flames fans from in their cars as we walked to my car. But other than that it was a great game to be at.

Well it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
Good enough for me
Got to be a chocolate Jesus
Good enough for me
Well it's got to be a Chocolate Jesus
Make me feel good inside
Got to be a chocolate Jesus
Keep me satisfied
- Tom Waite & Kathleen Brennan
I'm reading Radical Hospitality by Father Daniel Homan and Lonni Collins Pratt. They talked about having a Jesus that helps comfort and soothes the soul. That we want a Jesus that makes us feel good about ourselves and helps make grey skies blue again. Tiny Fey said it best, "I'm eating my feelings in the lunch room". I know for some people Chocolate is the right food/junk to help comfort whatever we might be feeling. It helps satisfies the moment. We want Jesus to do the same. For me, Jesus has been nothing but dissatisfying. I'm never satisfied with whats going on in my life. I walk/run this way and he needs me to go further. I start small talk with people I would rarely would call company and He makes me have lunch with them. I take a path that is less travelled and quite narrow, that I have to hold my breath just to pass through the labyrinths of life. Jesus isn't asking me to be satisfied. He makes me feel uncomfortable about the way I live my life. He puts me in positons that I dare not to choose. But he does. Jesus crashed the party and flipped the world upside down. We go through seasons (as a Christian I've used this term to define times in life), at present I am going through a season of removal and replacement. What are my priorities? What is important to me and how do I reflect who I worship? I've had to make a few choices in my life and stay on course. I am continuing to do ponder some choices still left to be decided. I am also waiting to see what transpires out of being patient for this one part of my life. Christ has made me uncomfortable. He has made me to be unsatisfied with what I am doing right now. He is pushing me to go further and some people will quit when pushing comes into play. But I'm going to try and go further, go deeper and hopefully be refined by this. I'm glad that Jesus isn't my "Chocolate Jesus", but He is more than just a warm blanket on a cold Calgary day. Although it is a struggle to go up river without a paddle, it is a challenge. It's tough, it's hard, but there is no other way.

1 comment:

Stacey Sparshu Miller said...

Okay, so if it means anything, I'm sad that Vancouver lost. Sorry 'bout that...glad you were able to enjoy being at the game anyway.

Now, about the rest of your post. I get it. I get feeling dissatisifed. I get wondering when the "abundant" part of this abundant life in Christ is going to start. I know it's not His fault that I'm grumpy. In fact, I know that it's because of His faithfulness, because of Him, that I can continue. Thanks for posting. I appreciate the thoughts...I think I'll need to read that book when y'all are done with it...then I can borrow it or something.

Until then, off to eat some chocolate!